May 15, 2014

Everything about Working Holiday Visa

Views 1499 Comments 0

The Working Holiday Visa is the ultimate experience of an Australia working holiday. Any work should be temporary to supplement your funds. Periods of work should be broken up by periods of holiday and travel.

Validity of Working Holiday Visa

  • Enter Australia at any time within 12 months of the visa grant date.
  • Stay in Australia for up to 12 months from the date of first entry.
  • Leave and re-enter Australia any number of times from the 12 months from the date of first entry.
  • Undertake temporary employment in Australia for up to six months with each employer.
  • Study for up to four months.

Eligibility for Australia Working Holiday Visa

  • Be aged 18 to 30 years (inclusive) on the date you apply.
  • Have a university/tertiary (post secondary school) education. Third year of undergraduate university study ok too.
  • Have functional English.
  • You must include a letter of support from your home government with your application. This letter is usually issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from your country.
  • Are not accompanied by dependent children.
  • Have not previously entered Australia on a Working Holiday (417) or Work and Holiday (462) visa.
  • Meet character, health and evidence of funds requirements.

Functional English Requirements

You must have functional English and provide documentary evidence of your English level when you lodge your visa application. Otherwise, you may be refused the visa.

You must provide evidence that you have done one of the following:

Achieved an IELTS average band score of at least 4.5 based on the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening in a test conducted no more than two years before lodging the visa application. For visa purposes you only need to sit the General Training Module.

  • Achieved a TOEFL score of 133 on a computer based test, or 450 on a paper based test or 45-46 on an internet-based test, no more than two years before lodging the visa application.
  • Passed the Occupational English Test no more than two years before lodging the visa application.
  • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education at an educational institution in which all instruction was in English.
  • Completed at least five years of secondary education (high school) at an educational institution in which all instruction was in English.
  • Completed a post-secondary qualification that required at least two years of full-time study or training, in which all tuition was in English.
  • Successfully completed, in Australia, at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma or associate diploma at an institution or institutions where all the instruction was in English.

 Evidence of Funds

You must have access to sufficient funds to support yourself for the initial stage of your holiday. Generally, AUD5000 may be regarded as sufficient, but the amount may vary depending on your length of stay and the extent of your travel. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia.

Health Requirements

Health requirements will vary depending on your personal circumstances.You may need to have a medical examination depending on your length of stay in Australia, other health risks in your home country or countries you have visited for more than three months within the last five years, the activities you will be undertaking or any existing health condition.

Health Insurance

Medical treatment in Australia can be very expensive. As a tourist, you are not covered by Australia’s national health scheme, unless there is a reciprocal health care agreement between Australia and your country. Health care for visitors to Australia is explained on the Medicare Australia website.