Electronic Travel Authority

Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)

The Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) allows individuals to visit Australia as a business visitor and stay up to three months during each of the visit. Moreover, you can also study in Australia for up to 3 months under some circumstances.

You might be able to get this ETA if:

      • you are travelling to Australia as a tourist or for business visitor purposes
      • you hold an eligible passport

Tourist activities includes:

      • holidays
      • recreation or
      • visit to see family & friends


Business visitor activities include:

      • making general business or employment enquiries
      • investigating, negotiating, signing or reviewing a business contract
      • activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit
      • participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation

Note: Business activities do not include short-term work.

You can apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (Subclass 400), if you want to work in Australia.

To apply for an ETA, you need to have passport from one of the following countries:

  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brunei
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong (SAR of China)
  • Iceland
  • IrelandM
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Republic of San Marino
  • Singapore
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • The Netherlands
  • United Kingdom—British Citizen
  • United Kingdom—British National (Overseas)
  • United States
  • Vatican City

An ETA is generally valid for 12 months. You can enter & stay in Australia for up to three months.