Working Holiday Visa

Working Holiday Visa Australia


The Australian Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) is a temporary visa subclass meant for individuals aged between 18-30 and want to work & travel in Australia for up to one year. The working holiday visa is a temporary visa that allows applicants from eligible countries, having closer ties with Australia.

First Working Holiday visa: You need to be outside Australia, while applying for a Working Holiday visa for the first time and when your visa is granted.

Second Working Holiday visa: If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia when the visa is granted. If you apply outside Australia, you must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.


In order to be granted a Working Holiday Visa, the applicant must:

  • have not previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 462)
  • hold a valid passport from one of the eligible countries
  • Must be aged between 18-30 years
  • are a genuine visitor who wants to have a holiday in Australia
  • have enough money to support yourself on a working holiday (about AUD 5000)
  • have enough money to buy a return or onward travel ticket at the end of your stay
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay.


Second Working Holiday Visa

You can apply for a second working holiday visa, only after you:

  • have complied with all the conditions on your first Working Holiday visa
  • have not previously held more than one Working Holiday visa
  • have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday visa

Note: You can apply for a Second Working Holiday Visa, if you are already in Australia, and wish to remain onshore.


Health & Character requirements

There are certain health requirements, the applicants have to fulfil depending on their personal circumstances, period of stay, country of citizenship, and your intended activities in Australia. The health requirements are generally valid for up to 12 months.

Health insurance

Unless your country of residence has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia, you will have to bear your health costs and the Australian national health scheme won’t cover you.

It is best to take health insurance before you plan to travel to Australia.

Character requirements

A working holiday visa applicant has to provide certain character requirements, including a police certificate from the country where you have lived in the past 12 months or more during the last 10 years.

Debts to the Australian Government

Before planning your travel date, you must also make sure that you do not have any outstanding debts to the Australian Government or if you have you must arrange to repay those outstanding debts to the government before visiting Australia.

In order to be granted a working holiday visa, the applicant must have a valid passport from one of the following countries having a Working Holiday Visa Program with Australia:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

The Working Holiday Visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
Working Holiday Visa Australia
AUS $365
This fee includes the visa applicant only aged between 18-31.
OTHER COSTS If Applicable)
Medical Examination
Variable(Depending upon the type of Medical Test and Examination required)
This fee is payable for the application and must be paid directly to the doctor conducting your examination.
Character Clearance (Police Check)
This fee is payable to the police authorities in the countries where you have lived for 12 months or more.
Certification/Translation of Documents
Payable to Translator
Working Holiday Australia (Silver Package)
Working Holiday Australia (Gold Package)
Working Holiday Australia (Platinum Package)