Schools Sector (571)

Schools Sector visa (subclass 571)

(Subclass 571) – Assessment Level 2

Student Visa 571 for international students applying to study in Australia and whose main course of study is one of the following:

    • A primary school course
    • A secondary school course, including junior and senior secondary


  • An approved secondary school exchange program.

Before you apply for this visa, you must have applied for and been accepted to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia. (It means you are enrolled in a school in Australia before applying for the visa). Your Australian education provider will advise you of the academic results you need and the evidence you must provide usually according to which class you want admission in. For the eligibility of 571 School student visa, you need provide evidence that you:

  • Are enrolled in a registered Primary or Secondary school course or exchange program
  • Have adequate English language ability (as per the institute as there is no condition from the department on this visa)
  • Have financial means to support yourselves
  • Must have health insurance while in Australia. Health insurance can be provided by obtaining Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.

Applicants under the age of 18, must also give evidence that they have:

  • Parental permission to study in Australia; and
  • Suitable arrangements for their accommodation, support and general welfare

Students are also required to satisfy health and character requirements for this visa

If you are granted 571 School student visa:

  • You can study in Australia
  • Eligible dependent family members can accompany you to Australia
  • When you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 20 hours per week while your course is in session and unlimited hours during holidays
  • Your family members can work up to 20 hours per week provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia
  • Your partner can study in Australia for up to three months only

Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa.

Student Visa Australia
This fee includes the main visa applicant and student dependents.
OTHER COSTS (If Applicable)
Medical Examination
Variable (Depending upon the type of Medical Test and Examination required)
This fee is payable for the application and must be paid directly to the doctor conducting your examination.
Character Clearance (Police Check)
This fee is payable to the police authorities in the countries where you have lived for 12 months or more.
Certification/Translation of Documents
Payable to the Translator
Student Visa Australia